Few things are more exciting to a sewing enthusiast than a shiny new sewing machine that embroiders. Suddenly, your capabilities have expanded. A whole new world of fun and attractive projects await. But, as a beginner, where to start? You want to access your machine’s full potential. But today’s embroidery machines come equipped with so many fantastic features that it’s hard to try them all out at once. That’s why we’ve put together this user-friendly guide of embroidery tips to help you get the most out of your new machine.
1. Read the Manual
It may sound elementary, but reading the manual that came with your new embroidery machine is a must. It will help you learn exactly which features you have at your disposal. Possibilities include:
- The ability to upload designs from digitizing design software. This means you can create original designs on your computer and upload them to your new machine for easy embroidering. Your new machine likely also comes preprogrammed with a number of designs already available.
- Hundreds of pre-programmed stitches. Popular favorites such as the straight stitch, the satin stitch, and the fill stitch are likely included.
- The ability to sew up to 1100 stitches per minute.
- A limited 25-year warranty.
2. Take a Class for Embroidery Tips
Probably the easiest way to familiarize yourself with all the magic that machine embroidery has to offer is to sign up for a Tucson sewing class. Cathey’s Sewing & Vacuum offers a comprehensive list of classes. Beginning crafters through advanced ones will learn all there is to know about their machine and all it has to offer. Find out more about your machine’s features and how to tweak and adjust them to make sewing a breeze.
3. Practice, Practice, Practice
The best way to become less intimidated by your new machine is simply to sit down and begin sewing. In machine embroidery, you’ll need to use the right kind of fabric. Also, you’ll need to hoop it correctly. These are good places to begin. If you can’t take a class, find an online video that describes the process in easy detail. Pick an easy project and go slowly until you’ve figured out all the basics. Learn which needle to use, how to attach the right foot to the machine, and which types of fabric are easiest to embroider.
4. Let Your Imagination Soar
Once you’ve learned the basics of embroidery for beginners, there will be no limits to what you can produce. Machine embroidery is one of the most rewarding Tucson hobbies and it doesn’t have to end there. The skills you learn as you hone your craft will make you a talented textile artist. Decorate your own home or use your new skills to supplement your household income.
When you’re ready to delve into the beautiful world of Tucson embroidery, you’ll find all the new and pre-owned equipment you’ll need at Cathey’s Sewing & Vacuum. Cathey’s takes Tucson crafts to a new level. Stop by and visit us today.